By Haim D Rabinowitch, Lesley Currah
The Alliums are essentially the most old cultivated plants and comprise onions, garlic, leeks and different similar crops. the first target of this booklet is to collect, in one quantity, updated wisdom got by way of numerous clinical disciplines, from the fundamental molecular point, to software within the box, of the allium crops.It includes commissioned chapters on issues that experience proven significant advances rather within the final ten years resembling molecular biology, floriculture and agronomy. members contain top international gurus from Europe, the united states, Japan and New Zealand.
Read or Download Allium Crop Science: Recent Advances PDF
Best crop science books
First identify in a big new seriesAddresses enhancing water productiveness to alleviate difficulties of shortage and pageant to supply for nutrition and environmental securityDraws from scientists having a large number of disciplines to technique this significant problemIn plenty of constructing nations, coverage makers and researchers are more and more conscious of the conflicting calls for on water, and examine agriculture to be more advantageous in its use of water.
Demonstrating the quantum bounce genomics represents in expertise, this booklet records the preliminary study suggestions, the advance of genomic instruments and assets, and the legume-community consensus at the learn goals that would consultant the genomic characterization of significant legume plants. The booklet provides this technical subject in a way that is helping readers resolution the query, "What is genomics?
Phenotyping Crop crops for Physiological and Biochemical characteristics provides a confirmed variety of methodologies and practices for potent, effective, and applicable typing of crop crops. by way of addressing the fundamental rules and precautions wanted whilst carrying out crop-based experiments, this publication publications the reader in identifying the fitting process in line with the turning out to be atmosphere, no matter if greenhouse, pot, box, or liquid (hydroponic).
- African Smallholders: Food Crops, Markets and Policy
- Immunoanalysis of Agrochemicals. Emerging Technologies
- Biological Control in Plant Protection: A Colour Handbook, Second Edition
- Plant factory : an indoor vertical farming system for efficient quality food production
- Cannabis Indica Volume 3: The Essential Guide to the World's Finest Marijuana Strains
Extra resources for Allium Crop Science: Recent Advances
The plants are broad-leaved and stocky. Pseudostems and the basal leaf parts of juvenile plants are mainly consumed as cooked vegetables or condiments (van der Meer and Hanelt, 1990; van der Meer, 1997; Hanelt, 2001; De Clercq and Van Bockstaele, Chapter 18, this volume). When grown as a biennial, leek develops basal bulbs in the second year (van der Meer and Hanelt, 1990; van der Meer, 1997). PEARL-ONION GROUP. Currently only under small-scale cultivation in house gardens in Central and South Europe, the rather small and slender plants develop large numbers of small subglobular daughter bulbs, which are pickled as a spice (van der Meer, 1997; Hanelt, 2001).
Enzymatic decomposition products of alliin, present in all plant parts, have antibacterial and antifungal activity (see Keusgen, Chapter 15, this volume) and cause the intense and specific odour. Like onion, garlic has been used by humans from very ancient times, when the historical traces fade away and cannot be followed either to a wild ancestor or even to the exact area of domestication. For taxonomic reasons, its wild ancestor (if still extant, or its close relatives) should grow anywhere in an area from the Mediterranean to southern Central Asia.
1. Diagrammatic representation of morphological structure of rhizomatous Allium species. A, C. Cross-section and diagram of A. victorialis, showing a single terminal generative shoot and several vegetative shoots. B, D. Crosssection and diagram of A. tuberosum, showing several flowering cycles during one season. , Foliage leaf; , inflorescence; , rhizome; , vegetative growing point or shoot apex. and flattened stem – the basal plate – together with the fleshy, succulent leaf-bases and/or specialized true scales, which assume the storage functions (De Mason, 1990; Kamenetsky, 1996a).